Monday, 21 November 2011

NSWGR HO scale NZBF Ballast Plough KIT

Hi all,

Some of you may know, but for those that don't, I have a NZBF ballast plough kit for sale. The kit comes with brass etch steps and brake wheels, white metal plough wheels, bogies, decals and polyurethane castings. The kit does not come with couplers.

Price is...Now sold out. Other styles of plough coming soon 

If you would like one please email me or see December 2011 AMRM page 80 for phone details. You can also visit


Friday, 18 November 2011

Columbia models BCW

Hi all,

In this blog we look at a Columbia models BCW. The model did not take much work too bring it from a toy train into a model train. I used a craft knife to give the smooth wood a weather worn look, added some cattle, and new AR kits bogies.

I first painted the wood white and the steel bracing in rust colour. I also used weathering powders to colour over the white with light and dark gray tones. I then used rust powder over the steel bracing. I removed the roof (not an easy job, it's glued well). Finally, I added some livestock and made a new thinner roof from a tin can!

I got this idea for the roof from the tin one that came with the Stephen Johnson models BCW kit and this model is almost a carbon copy so the steel roof worked out well.

One last note If your thinking of buying these models try to see them before you buy as there somewhat toy like and some of my modeling mates have not been happy with the price charged for the models based there basic appearance. However that being said, with a bit of work, you can come up with a good looking model that I believe was worth putting in the effort.


Saturday, 5 November 2011

Weathered NSWGR NPRX Cement hopper

Hi all,

In this blog,we look at an AR kits NPRX hopper, with Keiran Ryan models brass etch detail parts.

By adding some etch detail and under body parts, you can come up with a very nice model that's comparable to the ready-to-run models coming out of China. The model was built and painted in gray primer (from a spray can), then gloss clear was brushed where the decals would be placed. Then the decals were added and sprayed with flat clear.

The weathering powders were used to complete the model. I did not see the need for a silver top coat, as silver needs a lot of clear to make decals adhere well, and would be lost under layers of weathering powder anyway.

Just like the prototype, it has lost it's raw aluminum finish under layers of cement dust.